Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Data breach incidents soar

And will likely continue to do so, thanks to artificial "intelligence."
The Identity Theft Resource Center tracked 1,803 data compromises in the first half of 2026, putting the year on pace to surpass the record 3,321 incidents recorded in all of 2025. That figure outpaces the 297.5 million victim notices the ITRC recorded across all of 2025…

The surge comes as artificial intelligence is making attacks easier to execute. One in four malicious breaches between March 2025 and February 2026 were AI-enabled, a 56% increase over the prior year, according to an IBM $IBM +0.08% study based on 602 organizations globally. Those AI-enabled breaches — driven by deepfake impersonation and AI-enabled malware — cost companies an average of $6 million, roughly $1 million above the global breach average of $4.99 million. - Quartz

1 comment:

  1. Last week I cashed a check from a class action law suit over having our identity information compromised -- it was not a huge amount ... I couldn't buy a gallon of gas with it.
    Yesterday, the news reported that the medical clinic we use, was compromised.

    Because of those and other instances, I have been very restrictive of giving out information.
    For example, I wanted to get some competitive auto/home insurance quotes and one of the agents asked for our birthdates and social security information. I told him that we were just in the quotation stage and to use January 1 as the month and day and provided our actual birth years and told him there was no reason for him to have our social security numbers (since they would not be reporting any earnings information to the IRS) but if he had to have one for the quote to use 123-45-6789 which the IRS uses for movies, etc.. He said, he could not give us a quote without our factual data ... I said fine ... we will keep looking ... two days later I got an email with the quote and two days after that he followed up wanting to know if they got our business.
    The lesson is don't provide it unless they can prove a reason

    ReplyDelete