Thursday, December 5, 2019

Why is NATO still around?

I found this to be quite enlightening. I also found myself to be, by the time I got there, in full agreement with the conclusion. Which I'm quoting.
In an age where people around the world want to avoid war and to focus instead on the climate chaos that threatens future life on earth, NATO is an anachronism. It now accounts for about three-quarters of military spending and weapons dealing around the globe. Instead of preventing war, it promotes militarism, exacerbates global tensions and makes war more likely. This Cold War relic shouldn’t be reconfigured to maintain U.S. domination in Europe, or to mobilize against Russia or China, or to launch new wars in space. It should not be expanded, but disbanded. Seventy years of militarism is more than enough. - Truthdig

No comments:

Post a Comment